It’s a Family Affair

I have just returned from a weekend in Norfolk, spent with family at my Cousin’s wedding. The weekend had been planned for a long time, and with everything that’s been going on at home, Gary and I really wanted to treat it as a little holiday.

I finished work at 5pm on Friday and went home to finish packing. We then hopped into the car for our road trip. I love road trips with Gary. We turned up the music and drove by the pretty fields which line the motorways. Katy Perry is my happy music at the moment so I was blasting that most of the way. Part way there we saw some amazing clouds and part of a rainbow and chased it until we hit the edge. The light of the sun against the clouds and the fields was stunning.



So we arrived at our hotel pretty much starving. We checked in and then hopped it to the pub next door, where we ordered loads of food and some cider. I ate and drank way too fast and started to feel a little ill but very very happy. We went back to the hotel and I conked out. Hard day at work followed by amazing road trip = knackering!

The next day we woke fairly early and went for breakfast. Full English, toast, coffee and orange juice. That’s something I could get very used to.

ImageThen we went back to the hotel to pack and get dressed for the wedding! All packed and dressed in our glad rags we were back in the car and drove to the church. The weather had been amazing all morning. Yes it was a little chilly but the sun was shining and there were fluffy white clouds dotting the sky. The wedding was beautiful. It was at the church where my parents, grandparents, aunt and uncle and great aunt were all married. My niece and other cousin were bridesmaids and everyone looked amazing. Even my Grandad was able to attend with the help of a carer from the nursing home he’s living in.

ImageAfter the wedding we drove to the reception venue which was Stower Grange Hotel in Drayton. The place is beautiful. The staff were so attentive and nothing was too much trouble. We arrived and parked up and were immediately shown to our rooms so we could put our bags somewhere. Our room was so pretty and comfortable. We had a while outside with drinks and chatting in groups with family. It gave everyone a chance to catch up and the kids a chance to run around. Since the weather was still gorgeous it was ideal! Having been up early I was getting tired so we took half an hour in our room to chill before they would usher us in for the wedding breakfast.

ImageThe speeches were all wonderful. There was laughter and tears (incidentally I have discovered that all the women in my family are total blubberers – including me) The food was welcome as by now it was about 5pm and we hadn’t eaten since breakfast. It was timed well and yummy. While we were chatting and eating, the photographer brought in framed prints of photos he’d taken earlier. He’d already edited and printed some of them to show the guests. What an amazing idea! Once the food was over we all vacated the room so that it could be set up for the evening, and all of us staying at the hotel decided it was time for a little break. We were able to shut our eyes or lie down for a little while, which was welcome.

The evening’s entertainment was a live band who played funk and Motown music. They were very good and had the whole room dancing – even me! Gary has always been a twinkle toes and made an impression dancing with my Grandma! Such a charmer. We were both so tired by the end that Gary and I slept very well that night!

The next morning there was breakfast in the dining room of the hotel. Another Full English with all the extras. Then we said goodbye to the family and the newlyweds and made our way off with a quick stop at my Grandmas before we decided it was best to head home.

We went home a different way from normal and I’m so glad we did. We stopped at a roadside cafe which served really nice greasy spoon food – mine was so yummy! Then a little further on we stumbled across an American War Memorial and cemetery. It was so peaceful there, we spent about 20 minutes walking around and sitting taking it in. I’m so glad we stopped.

ImageBy the time we got home (we had to stop at the supermarket before it shut too!) we were more than shattered. We spent the rest of the day catching up on TV we’d recorded and picking at snacks. A perfect end to a lovely weekend. I adore weddings and they’re evening better when they’re family weddings. Everything had gone so well and was so comfortable. It couldn’t have gone better!

One thought on “It’s a Family Affair

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.