Despite being a huge Christmas bore, I am aware that when it comes to the festive season there are some things it’s still too early for. Certain songs and movies that are Christmas themed need to wait until nearer the day or else it just feels wrong.
That being said, I do like to put up my decorations as soon as it hits December. The whole house feels warm and cosy and just less bare with the decorations up – however I do like to take them down asap after Christmas and sometimes they’re packed away even before new year.
With that in mind, in order to draw me into the spirit of the season there’s a few things I like to do, and you can try them to!
- Eating things with spices in. I like to start drinking spiced chai lattes and sprinkling cinnamon on top of my hot chocolate.
- Roasting chestnuts.
- Burning spiced candles to create a wonderful Christmas scented home.
- Putting up fairy lights.
- Reading Through a Glass Darkly by Jostein Gaarder. Such a sad story but beautifully written and embodies Christmas. I read it every year at this time.
- Watching movies that are tenuously linked with Christmas like Serendipity or The Holiday.
- Wearing lots of fairisle!
What do you like to do to get yourself into the festive mood when it feels just a tad too early to jump into Christmas with both feet?