The first week in January is complete and rather successful it has been! We’ve started this year with a bang, and already have masses planned. But sticking to this week….
- Eating – The christmas period has really taken its toll on me and having lost a lot of weight just before Christmas I have, unfortunately put it all back on over the festive period. So, as unoriginal as it sounds, we’re trying to get back into the swing of healthy eating, and though I didn’t fall completely off the wagon in December I did get into the nasty habit of grazing. It’s made all the more hard with the amount of left over nibbles we have in the house. This weekend I will be throwing out a lot of it and giving some away, just so that the temptation isn’t there any more.
I’ve been busy in the kitchen though, and above is Quorn shepherd’s pie in the making.
I also found a lovely lentil soup recipe on Pinterest and made that last weekend. It’s so yummy that I’ll be making it again soon.
- Another Pinterest recipe is the above, oven baked cheat’s KFC chicken. I was a little skeptical as how could it really taste like KFC especially as it’s not fried, but I was very surprised (and delighted) when I began to tuck into it that it really does taste just like it. Granted I used skinless chicken breasts so it doesn’t have the same texture as peeling the skin from a KFC piece, but the flavour was there and the coating wasn’t soggy either. I’ll be making that again soon too!
- Adjusting: Still on the subject of food, I’ve been coming to terms with the idea that I might be lactose intolerant – mainly with milk but also with soft cheeses. I changed from cow’s milk to coconut milk around a year ago, purely for its health benefits, but over the winter I’d fancied real milk again so substituted it in tea and lattes made at home. Bad idea – my body really didn’t like it so I started to realise maybe coconut milk was what I needed to stick with. The trouble is it becomes bitter very quickly and can ruin a nice cuppa. Today in the supermarket, on my way to stock up on coconut milk, I saw a new milk called A2 which claims to be better for the digestive system than standard cow’s milk. I bought some to give it a go – no harm!
- Training: We’re back at the gym and we also acquired some York dumbells over the Christmas period so we’ve got weights at home now. We also have some races planned – MK 10k, Bupa 10,000 and Women’s Running 10k (just for me!) so we’ll be training for those.
- Travelling: Excitedly and very unexpectedly we have quite a few trips planned for this year. I already knew I was off to Ibiza in September and I’m so excited about it. I also have some short breaks planned. But I’m now also returning to Las Vegas in 7 weeks time for a week and I couldn’t be happier!
- Learning: This week I read this very interesting article about self-doubt and those annoying voices in your head, I found it really useful. I liked the perspective and it was really thought-provoking. Maybe you might find it useful too.
All this and just one week into the year….. It’s shaping up to be a good one!