And so we’re here again. I can’t quite believe I’m sitting here, preparing to take you through my year, once again.
It’s been a very hard year but also amazing in many ways. I feel like I’ve changed and grown as a person, and also seen those around me change in many ways.
Sadly, I’ve not seen as much of some of the people I love this year, but I’m hoping next year that will change. But I know these people still value me in the same way, as I value them still, despite not seeing them so much. You guys know who you are!
I know a high proportion of my readers head over here purely for the beauty stuff, and I’m going to post up a separate piece about my beauty picks for 2017, so if that’s what you’re after you have my permission to skip this one altogether. Though, if you do decide to carry on you might find there’s more to Musings than just beauty reviews, and I’d like to welcome you into the world of Musings lifestyle articles.
At the end of 2016 I set myself two resolutions (well, more like goals to be fair). By the end of 2017 I wanted to have attended at least one blogger event, and I also wanted to have become less judgemental.
Two very different goals. I achieved the first only this month. I had actually forgotten about my resolution and when I remembered it a couple of weeks ago, I was very pleased to have achieved it.
I also feel I am well on my way with the second goal. A very personal journey, and one that I won’t go deep into here, but I honestly feel like I am much less judgemental now than I was. I just have to work on being more tolerant of those who have not gone on this journey. I can only take control of myself and my own responses, but it’s hard and frustrating when other people appear bitter and judgemental – I can see now it only hurts themselves.
Anyway, I didn’t mean to get all deep in this post! I’m going to give a month by month run down of what I got up to this year, which is much less intense! Each month title is a clicky link, so if there’s a post you’re interested in reading, click there and you’ll be taken to that month. So here goes :
- This year started with the celebration of 50 years of Milton Keynes! My home town since I was born (I may have strayed for a couple of years in the middle somewhere!)
- Gary and I went for a little bit of culture at the end of this month and saw a play! Gaslight at the Aylesbury Waterside Theatre. One of my favourite films, it was great to see it on stage. Gary, who didn’t know the story at all, was very pleasantly surprised. It’s nice to do something a little different sometimes!
- I started posting a little more on my YouTube channel, and a few people seemed to be watching!
- I got taken in by ColourPop’s weekly product releases, and spent probably too much money on lipsticks (that I still love btw)
- I told you all why I reverse wash my hair, and actually it’s something I still do and feel the benefit of.
- I wrote my first proper post about mental health and touched on my experiences with struggles I face.
- I saw La La Land for the first time and wanted to hate it, but fell deeply in love.
- I told the world why I’d stopped wearing bras, for some reason….
- I did something that years back I would never have been able to do – I went on a shopping trip to London on my own.
- I finally met up with Sophie Kate, when she took me as her plus one to the Glamour Beauty Festival.
- I discovered the music of Childish Gambino and proceeded to not want to listen to anything else ever.
- I went to Rome!
- In April I attended Secret Cinema’s presentation of Moulin Rouge – which incidentally I have never written up. I always wait until they put up their event video, so as to not spoil anything, however their video only went up the other day (so many many months later) and now I feel the moment has passed. If you wish to see this post, let me know in the comments, or else I will simply allow the memory to fade in my brain. Anyhow, it was a great night!
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer celebrated 20 years since its first airing, and I felt old…
- I decided YouTube might not be for me, but also decided that the occasional dabble when it felt right was how I would move forward.
- I went to see Bruno Mars and he was epic!
- Ooh this month I shared my tomato linguine recipe – and boy is it yummy!
- I watched a LOT of TV
- I shared a much requested post, about why I decided to get married at a young age.
- I wrote a post about anxiety and my experiences. It was probably the most personal post I’ve written on the subject to date.
- Our trip to London to see Ariana Grande was amended slightly due to terrorist activity in Manchester, however we decided to press on and continue with the rest of our plans.
- Musings celebrated its 8th birthday!
- I was given the chance to see London from one of their amazing Ducks!
- I spoke about growing up and old and the secret adults never tell you as a child.
- I posted my most viewed YouTube video to date (2.2k views so far!)
- I spoke about my quest for positivity.
- I turned 34 years old!
- I started planning my trip to Orlando
- I did a little photo shoot with my Niece in the last of the summer sunshine.
- I moved house! This took up most of my free time!!
- Halloween month. I was all about sharing my favourite Halloween movies, and getting ready to go on holiday to Florida!
- My Florida holiday was epic
- I spoke about striving to be more tolerant.
- And as soon as you can say ‘Halloween is over’ it was Christmas season!
- I shared a post about my holiday and all of a sudden the weather was crisp and frosty and we were all thinking about the festive season!
- And here we are!
- December was about sharing meals with family and friends and unexpected snow!
- I went to my first blogging event, the Blogosphere Christmas Festival.
- And now here we are – you’re reading the final piece!
So what’s in store for next year then?
Well, I always say this, but I’d like to learn a new skill. I’d like to feel a little less restless in my skin. I’d like to continue on my quest for positivity, in becoming more tolerant and less judgemental.
I’d like to continue to better myself.
So here’s to another year! If you blog and you’ve written an end of year round-up post, I’d love to read it. Pop your link in the comments and I’ll have a read 🙂